Thursday, March 21, 2013

Facebook: New Adventures in Cover Photos.


Remember when we all groaned about timeline? I took the plunge early and made an effort to embrace the changes so that I could ease my page admins into it and help them avoid some confusion. I thought you might have needed a little assistance too so I blogged about cover art and easy ways to create it if you’re not a graphic artist. That blog is here

In that blog I summarized some of the initial guidelines from Facebook surrounding cover photos:
  • No selling! Don't tell us about the latest deals here.
  • It's meant to be visual so have fun with it. 
  • Should be representative of your product or service.
  • No pleas to people to let others know about your page.
  • Don't include anything about asking them to share or like the page. 
  • No URLs, emails or any info that leads them to another way to contact you.
Note: The bullets above are my words not the ones that were previously in the official Facebook guidelines. They were much more detailed than that! You get the idea though.


And cover photos started popping up quickly. I noticed immediately that no one was following “the rules”; there was plenty of copy being used and URLs, etc. And here’s the rub: I have never heard of anyone getting penalized for their non-compliance either! And now, Facebook has thought…what the heck; let’s loosen up a bit!

Here's an excerpt (actually it is most of it) from the Facebook cover art guidelines: All cover photos are public, which means anyone visiting your Page will be able to see the cover photo. Coverphotos can't be deceptive, misleading, infringe on anyone else's copyright or be in violation of the Pages Terms. You may not encourage people to upload your cover photo to their personal timelines.

This is fuzzy stuff! Do you understand WHY they had to reword it? I sure don’t. Is this rewording going to make the stockholders happy? No. Will it make the users happy? No. Will it make the page owners happy? They weren’t listening anyway.


Here we go again with my Facebook wishes. Excuse me while I get on my soapbox: Facebook pay attention to the users; pay attention to protecting our privacy. Let posts from us struggling business owners (like me) be seen! 

Give us an opportunity to grow with you instead of forcing us to work around you.

Taking precious time to rewrite guidelines that no one pays attention to provides no benefit to anyone. Rethink your priorities and your long term strategy. 

Speaking of covers, a certain band formed in New Jersey wanted to be on one for a well known magazine and sang about it at the end of 1972 (see below) and got their wish the following year! Don't forget to visit us at our website, or stop by on TwitterFacebook, or Google+                      where we cover lots of great topics! 



1 comment:

Shannon Grissom said...

Gonna send 5 copies to my mother... hope FB gets lots of copies too!